19 October 2006

My most excellent friend

I found out that my dad collapsed yesterday as my parents made a trip to the hospital to see my nephew. My sister-in-law rushed her son to the ER because he was having a seizure (not his first) due to the fact that he had not been taking his meds (not his fault--he's like 10); when mom and dad found out, dad became distraught. she said that he cried (I can almost count the number of instances where he's cried) and moaned for awhile, then gathered himself and drove to the hospital (1.5 hours from their home). When they arrived, the boy was already feeling better. They'd probably been at the ER about a half hour before calling--so by the time the folks got there, it was winding down. . .however, it was just beginning for dad. He told me that he saw grandson and the pressure just began building in his chest. He said that he just wanted to ignore it so that the little one would not become worried about him. Uh, too late. It became obvious to grandson (yes, I'm deliberately leaving out names) that something was wrong with pops. Mom thought he was just overwrought, so she just kind of blew it off. When she saw the look on his face, she decided to get someone from the ER to help him in. Dad told me that when he realized his pain was not only not going away, but getting worse, it was all he could do to try to signal for help.

Dad relayed all this to me last night as I called him at the hospital. Of course he tells me there is absolutely no reason for me to come home, as he will be leaving the hospital today (Thursday) and back to work that night. Mind you, this is not on a Dr.'s advice. . .he just knows that he will be back to normal after he's had a little rest and tv. Uh. . .I will be home tomorrow. By the time the docs get finished using him as a pin cushion and zapping him with enough radiation to nuke a turkey. . .he'll realize that he will have to let that little idea go.

My dad is my most excellant friend. I'm closer to him than my mom. And he's the second husband. ;)

It wasn't always so. He and I had our issues when I was growing up. . .but like any good parent, he kept loving me even when I spent my teen years barely saying anything more than "good morning, good evening, yes sir, no sir."

My favorite book puts it like this:

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast. It is not rude, it is not self seeking. It is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perserveres. Love never fails. There are many versions of this, so use the one that suits you best.

I will sit with my most excellant friend, not sharing anything new. . .we've made it a point to end our conversations with "love you" for years. I just need to see his smile and let him know that I know no matter what, it will be okay.

Update (10/26/06)

Dad is out of the hospital and back to his everyday--thanks to everyone for their thoughts and prayers!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roz -

Good thing your Dad was in the right place! There's not much to look at in a hospital, so you could get in plenty of knitting while spending time with him. My thoughts are with you and him; best wishes for a quick diagnosis and comfortable recovery. Drive safely!

Gwyn

10:21 AM  
Blogger aknittykitty said...

Thanks so much Gwyn! Will keep you guys posted once I find out more.

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home