31 August 2006

Ernesto

My parents live in the county of Charleston, SC. Ernesto is forecasted to hit the Charleston area sometime today. Now, Ernesto has yet to show any true force beyond rain. . .though it is "forecasted" that wind speeds will pick up and Ernesto may still surge to a category 1 Hurricane. I don't know about you guys, but I don't happen to like that possibility at all. My teeny tiny town (McClellanville--you'll find it on google, but not much more reliable data beyond its name) has been hit before (remember Hugo?). Anyway, my dad was working away from home and my mom was alone for the brunt of the storm. Dad was trying to make his way home, but his car was pretty much blown into a field. . .he had to literally get back on the road before he could make it home. Meanwhile, mom was at home with the raging wind and rising water-- old girl was having major anxiety attacks. . .while this does sound a bit dramatic and all, there was a bright side:

of the people seeking safety in the "designated shelter", mom's decision to wait the storm out at home was a wise one: whereas the water rose about 1 1/2 feet there, the entire building was covered with water at the "designated shelter!" Those people were on top of the building awaiting rescue (okay, so it was a one story building, but that's enough for me!). . .back to the original story. . .

I am waiting on pins and needles to find out how Ernesto finally blows. . .I am praying for God's favor to continue to keep my folks safe as well as the rest of the inhabitants of these coastal areas. . .but whatever happens, I pray for my mom. That she pushes through her anxiety. I check in with her daily, so she sounds cool. Dad is with her, so that tends to keep her grounded. As you may have guessed, we are a fairly tightly knit group (my purly wisdom for the day)

:8
My apologies for the dramatic post. . .it is where I am today. . .

2 Comments:

Blogger Two Pixies said...

ooooh, the stress of these doggone storms. :( Your family will be in our prayers!!!

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no! And here I am praying that Ernesto DOES reach us up here in Maryland so that we get some much needed rain.

I'll keep you and your family in my prayers today!

6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home